Sunday, April 14, 2019

A Musical Path To the Next Place

I guess most folks vastly prefer the 1968 version of this song, but you know how it is when you hear the original version of a song you fell in love with in a later form: The original never sounds as good after that.

The story is this: I had an unusually-rotten cold. My husband and his best friend had bought tickets for us to see a band that I hated -- a band that also happened to be my husband's favorite band -- Jethro Tull. I was new at this marriage thing, so I tagged along -- a decision I'd still make today, it turns out.

It was this iteration of Fairport Convention that opened the show. The minute they started to sing, I stopped wondering what I was doing there. Deep in my heart, I had been looking for this music, or something like it, for a very long time.

I'd found flashes of it in the California sound, the music of Emmylou Harris, even some of Tom Petty's work; although, curiously, not in the work of the East Coast folkies so admired by Fairport in their early days (Personally, I think Anna Russell nailed East Coast folky pretention in this piece). This Fairport Convention, a band I'd read about but never explored, was closer to the truth of what I was looking for; but I wouldn't figure that out for nearly 20 years. For me, Fairport Convention would be a lifeline, a doorway, a path to the next place, which was also the first place.

Fairport closed their set, fittingly, with this song. I've been a Fairport Convention ever since, and a huge fan of this particular lineup. I get it: Richard, Sandy, Trevor ... but Simon, Dave, and Ric! Not that I don't adore Swarb but, you know ....

This one's for him. And for my husband, who passed in 2009. And for all my friends.

Fairport Convention with "Meet On the Ledge".

No comments:

Post a Comment