Thursday, June 29, 2017

30-Day Music Challenge: Day 8


8. A song about drugs or alcohol.

I was quite surprised when, several months ago, I heard an interview with a musician I quite admire -- as a player and as a person. He said he had done drugs for most of his life, had never suffered any ill effects, and had never been unable to stop. He simply chose to. He was ambiguous as to whether his life was better with drugs or without.

That's not my experience.

I count myself blessed never to have been sucked in because I've watched close friends, colleagues, and loved ones throw away family, career, and their very lives for one more drink, one more hit. Nothing prepares you for the suicide of one of your closest friends just days before his 50th birthday. Nothing prepares you for the tears grown men can't stop crying at the funeral.

This is my experience: Neil Young with "The Needle and the Damage Done".


No comments:

Post a Comment