Wednesday, June 22, 2016

As long as my teachers weren't sadistic (I had a couple of those), and were interested in their subjects, I liked school quite a lot, growing up. To this day, I thrive on being tested, and consider it a major victory to have learned something new.

There is one kind of schooling, however, that will inspire me to rebel every single time -- the kind where some self-righteous person who's no better than I am, and has at least as many faults as I do, presumes to tell me how to live my life.

Nope, nope, nope.

I will stop at nothing to shake those people off. I will gossip about them, call them names, insult them, marshal their enemies against them, and especially, do exactly the opposite of what they tell me to do -- while they are watching, if I can.

As much as I enjoyed school, no one ever accused me of kissing up to the teachers, because I never did. That's the kind of rebellion that saves lives and champions the oppressed -- even if that's just you.

In that spirit, I offer the ultimate rebel anthem from Alice Cooper: "School's Out".

No comments:

Post a Comment